External Lichen Resources
|Keys, Checklists, and Literature|
|Institutions, Organizations, and Individuals|
- Revised Catalog of Lichens, Lichenicoles, and Allied Fungi in California
- The Lichen Flora of Joshua Tree National Park – An Annotated Checklist. (Link to PDF from Researchgate; or link to copy of PDF on CALS website.)
- A Cumulative Checklist for the Lichen-forming, Lichenicolous and Allied Fungi of the Continental United States and Canada. Theodore Esslinger, First Posted 1 December 1997, Most Recent Update Version #21, 15 November 2016.
- Opuscula Philolichenum: An online journal of short papers in lichenology
Mycological and Lichenological Collection Catalogs
- Identifying North American Lichens: A Guide to the Literature by Philip F. May, Irwin M. Brodo, and Theodore L. Esslinger
NPLichen: A Database of Lichens in the U.S. National Parks
- Arizona State University: Lichen Herbarium Databases (includes Santa Barbara Botanical Garden lichen collection)
- LIAS: A Global Information System for Lichenized and Non-Lichenized Ascomycetes
- Information about interactive keys
- Interactive Lichen Key for the Greater Sonoran Desert
- Search lichen literature
- Lichen red list
- Searchable List of Names in the Parmelioid Genera (Lichens)
- Lichen determination keys available on INTERNET
- Bibliography for ‘Significance of Lichen Compounds’ by Irene Winston
- Lichens of North America by Irwin Brodo, Sylvia and Stephen Sharnoff is now available. This is the first accessible and authoritative guidebook to lichens of the North American continent. There are beautiful color photographs, descriptions, distribution maps and keys for identifying the most common, conspicuous, or ecologically significant species. The book focuses on 805 foliose, fruticose and crustose lichens and presents information on another 700 species in keys or notes. The comprehensive introduction discusses the biology, structure, uses and ecological significance of lichens.
- The Lichen Flora of the Greater Sonoran Desert Region, All three Volumes are completed. They include southern California and are useful for surrounding dryish habitats.
- Mini Guide to some Common California Lichens and Mini Guide to some Southern California Lichens, photography by Richard Doell and text by Janet Doell. The mini guides measure 3 3/4″ X 2 3/4″ and fit neatly into pocket or backpack. They are designed as an introduction to lichens for anyone interested in the natural world. Each of the color photos of California lichens is accompanied by a descriptive text. The introduction tells what lichens are and describes the three groups into which they are roughly divided. The books do not deal with chemistry or microscopic characters other than those that can be seen with a hand lens.
- Understanding lichens. 1999. by Baron, George. RP [Richmond Publishing Co.], Box 963, Slough SL2 3RS, UK (email@example.com). iv, 92 pp., ill. (some col.), ISBN 085546-252-3 (PB), £9.95, £0.70 postage U.K., £1.00 foreign. [Contents: intro; 4 col. pls.; what is a lichen?; thallus; growth forms; repro., dispersal; physiol.; lichens and their environ.; amateur study; uses; class.; biblio.; index. A handy, nicely written introductory guide, w/ 49 B&W figs., 4 col. pls. w/ 24 figs. for 24 common spp.] noticed by Rudi Schmid
- The Lichens of British Columbia – Illustrated Keys: Part 1 – Foliose and Squamulose Species Dowloadable PDF files
- The Lichens of British Columbia – Illustrated Keys: Part 2 – Fruticose Species Dowloadable PDF files
- American Bryological and Lichenological Society
- Arizona State University Lichen Herbarium
- University of California, Riverside, Herbarium
- Consortium of North American Lichen Herbaria
- British Lichen Society
- Northwest Lichenologists, Inc.: includes lichenologist certification program.
- Lichens at the Smithsonian
- The Natural History Museum (London) Lichen Guide
- The R6 Lichens HomePage: Air Quality Biomonitoring Program on National Forests of Northwest Oregon and Southwest Washington
- Lichens at Minnesota: Home Page of Clifford Wetmore
- Wayne Armstrong’s lichen pages: Desert Varnish & Lichen Crust | Desert Varnish Coating On Rocks & Boulders | Lichen Crust On Surface Of Rocks & Boulders | Crustose Marine Lichens Of The Pacific Coast | Crustose Terrestrial Lichens Of North America | Lichen Succession On Bark Rock Surfaces | Concluding Remarks About Rock Lichens | References About Desert Varnish & Lichens
- Lichens of North America Site great photos, additional links
- California Native Plant Society
- International Association of Lichenology (IAL)